Friday 27 September 2013

*Additional information for 'Adjectives': *

*Additional information for 'Adjectives': *

1. 'some' is used in affirmative sentences and 'any' in questions and negative sentences to express quantity.

Example:
I have to buy some fruit for my mother.
He did not say anything to it.
Any more questions regarding this?

It is, however, correct to use 'some' in a question which carries requestive tone.

Example:   
May I have some more sugar in my coffee, please?

    

2. Few vs. Little
    Few denotes number              --     Little denote amount or quantity    
    Few means not many             --     Little means not much, hardly any    
    A few means at least some    --     A little means at least some    
    The few means whatever there is    --  The little means all that is there    
    Other forms: fewer (comparative)  --   Less (comparative) and    
      and fewest (superlative)   --   least (superlative)    


Example:   
Though the question is easy, I feel you are unable to answer it.
There have been fewer accidents in the city in recent times .
Fill the tank with not less than fifty (not less) litres of oil (not fewer).

3. 'Older' is used for persons and things, and 'elder' for the members of a family.

Example:
How can you say that I am older than you?
I am elder to my sister only by two years.
     4. English comparatives and Latin comparatives : English comparative end in '--er' and are therefore followed by 'than' but Latin comparative end in '--or' and cannot be followed by 'than'. Instead 'to' follows them. The Latin comparative is : junior, senior, inferior, superior and prior.

Example:   
This is in no way inferior to that.
Today, it seems, everyone has come prior to me.

In the same way 'elder' (an English comparative) and 'prefer' take 'to' after them.

Example:   
He often prefers coffee to tea.

5. Essentials of comparative Degree: Observe the following examples and note the essentials highlighted.

Example:
Simon is cleverer than any other boy in the class ('any other' is essential to say :  Simon is the cleverest of all boys in the class).

Simon is cleverer than many other boys in the class. ('many other' is essential to say : Simon is not the cleverest boy in the class).


      6. 'Than' should be used with 'no other'

Example:
I have no other objection than this.
No other man than you can do it.

7. Comparison is often wrongly used between uncomparable things.

Example:(1 one is wrong. , 2 one is correct)   
My ideas are better than you.1

Here comparison is made between 'My ideas' and 'you'. But it must be:

My ideas are better than your ideas.(2)
or simply : Yours.

Notice the following example:

People here are more decent than in our town.(1)
People here are more decent than those in our town. 2
     8. Whenever two or more qualities of a person are to be described, all the adjectives describing him must necessarily be in the same degree:

Example:
You are more reserved and simple than your brother  (1)
You are more reserved and simpler than your brother 2

9. The components of a degree must be present when the degree is applied.

Example:   
Can you draw as well, if not better than, I?    1
Can you draw as well as, if not better than, I?   2.

In fact, he looks nicer, though everyone says he is just as nice as I.1
In fact, he looks nicer than me, though everyone says he is just as nice as, I.2

10. Certain adjectives are not eligible for comparison because of their completeness, they remain in the positive degree.

 Example:
This is the most perfect painting I have ever seen till now.1
This is the perfect painting I have ever seen till now. 2

1 comment: